5.07.2007

April 30- May 6, 2007 Week 18

Argh… I have to tell you, most days that I work, I work HARD. I start around 7 am and go until about 5 pm, but those days mostly are flexible, and require no ghastly commute. Going from this relative freedom to the grind of worrying about what time I will be arriving somewhere, and what I will be wearing when I get there, really takes it out of me. But I think most of it is the commute. I hope as a civilization we evolve beyond the five day a week (maybe more) commute for many jobs. I understand teachers, students, nurses, doctors, etc will need to commute to get near one another, to get to their jobs, to be able to do their jobs, but I think so many can sit at home a few days a week just fine and still get things accomplished. Of course that would mean having a population happy enough with their home and home life to actually WANT to be home, rather than to escape to an office, to be able to blame their miserableness on a boss, on a commute, rather than the real reasons… but I digress….

Monday: Artist check in at MLAC. 9-4ish. The usual hour or so commute via the highway became a two hour and five minute headache via surface streets. As the major highway was closed, the traffic switched to the only major alternate, which was quickly closed as well due to an accident there. Why people who drive the highway feel the need to try and do the same on a surface street is beyond me. I know, they are stressing about traffic, about being late to work, but hey, you chose to live an hour away from your job, with only one major way to get there… are we the only people to contemplate such things? Oh, BTW, I also got some labels printed, went to the post office, paid bills, and worried about J all day since she was admitted to the hospital again for her intestinal issues….

Tuesday: MLAC set up and opening reception. I got there after the usual commute around 12 noon and got home after the reception ended about 10 pm. In the morning before leaving I printed some more labels, went through and dealt with some show apps, blogged, ran out to get cat litter and then took care of all that goes with that. J was released on her own reconnaissance from the hospital. This means they trust her to finish her round of meds and actually consult with the surgeon on having some of her intestine removed… yeah, right, she’ll do that… not….

Wednesday: MLAC 9-4ish. Before leaving I got a box for C’s sister mailed out, I have to say I LOVE the fact that USPS picks up packages at your door. It must save me 2-3 trips to the post office a week, and a line even when I do need to pick up mail from my PO Box. Its really handy at the winter holidays… no line! I also picked up groceries, finished sending in paperwork for a show, and called my mom. Unfortunately to day was also the day that one of B’s cats- Tribble- passed over to kitty Heaven.. It was a bummer that I was so busy that I couldn’t be there for her.

Thursday: MLAC 9 am-2ish…I printed flyers for my next show, e-mailed a customer about a wholesale request, and put together more stock for MLAC. It seems a few of my things were sold out (or close to) during the day….that’s a good sign….

Friday: The morning started out quite busy, I had what felt like a million things to do before C got home and we left for the craft show. I printed out directions to both the show and the hotel, dropped off my stock to A for MLAC, we met at Starbucks where she got a big cup of caffeine and I got a big cup of sugar and decaf….I printed labels for bags for soap, checked the hot tub chems, fed the cats and got them water for the weekend, folded flyers for the show, took out the garbage, packed the van with displays and inventory, packed my clothes for the trip, and did laundry. C got home about 1 and we left about 2:30… the rest is another post….

Saturday: Apple Blossom Festival

Sunday: Apple Blossom Festival (kinda…) groceries, Nascar (& nap), update online events calendar…

No comments: