12.05.2005

Chriskindlemarkt Weekend 2

Well another weekend of Chriskindlemarkt has bit the dust. This weekend was only mildly more profitable than last weekend, and I had to sit there for one more day. Comparing the two head to head, I actually made 20% less (on average) per day this weekend, but it was having four days rather than three that brought the total higher at the end. In general it was boring. I have nice neighbors, but nothing like the loud, riotous ones that I had last year and the year before. I concentrated a lot on getting homework done, since I have a few finals coming up and more than a few papers due in the next weeks to come. It was only really, really cold one day, since they were having trouble with the heaters again. These heaters are a big pet peeve of mine. The ex-project manager in me gets all riled up. I would think there would be back up units on site, so there would be an easy switch out and the other unit could be fixed at leisure, but no. I think it has to do with the fact that the heaters are at least partially, if not fully, donated by a local company. And who wants to put extras out on stand by when they are not being paid for. If that is the case, I'm glad I don't do business with them; they are the reason I sit and shiver, for hours on end, at least a few times a year.

The only other thing that I though of (to add to my tirade last week about perks I wish we had as crafters at this show), is a change service. Its great that they have an ATM available on site, but Saturday I was down to my last 5 dollar bills before C showed up with more for me. And I bring a huge amount of change, much more than anyone else I know with my price point. It would be nice if they came around and exchanged 20's for 1's and 5's during the course of the day. It would be even better if they did quarters and such, but that's asking a lot, I know. It would be easy to implement. Send around one person with a clipboard. Have both people (the volunteer and the vendor) sign next to the amount the vendor wants change for. Then the vendor gives over the cash. Later when the change arrives, both sign for the amount received, showing it’s the same as the amount given. It works for other festivals I participate in, I would think it could work here as well.

Best Sellers:

Soap: Lilac
Fizzys: Lavender
Lotion Bars: Lavender
Lip Balms: Cantaloupe

No comments: