11.28.2005

Weekend 1- Chriskindlemarkt:

Positives:
Sales were up from last year almost 10%
I met a cool new customer who is helping me to develop a new product for '06.
It was only really, really cold on the first day
Lots of new people signed up for my mailing list
Saw some old friends who I only get to see a few times a year
My idea of using organza bags so people can make their own gift bags is a hit
My neighbor crafters aren't annoying
I even got some schoolwork done
They lowered the price for next year by close to 10%

Negatives:
I have a different space than last year
They mailed me my name tag- it was squished- I already lost it
Empty booths- they are having trouble getting crafters
My neighbor across didn't open till 11:30- we were supposed to be there at 10.

Observations:
There is an admission fee for this show and it is a catch-22 for the crafters (and the promoters too). If they continue to allow crafters to "set their own schedule" and not enforce the fact that the show opens at 10 and closes at 8 then invariably someone who pays an admission will feel as though they did not receive the full value for their money. They will see vacant spots, and closed booths and wonder why they bothered coming in the first place. This means next year they will either 1) not come at all or 2) come another weekend. Either way that means less people for the vendors who are there when they should be, lowering their sales, and eventually they get discouraged and come in when they feel like it, or stop doing the show this weekend all together. Starting the cycle again until no one comes- attendees or vendors.

Perks: Some little things would boost morale in a huge way and cost little to no money. I especially think that vendors who attend all four weekends and who have done so for years in a row should be given some things. This would encourage other vendors to do the same- and should increase the number of core vendors for the event year after year. 1) Give us a real nametag. Volunteers get this nice shiny, hard, nametag with their name on it (from one of those P-touch machines). We get flimsy, plastic, squished in the mail, name tags. 2) Each year volunteers get a pin with the year they volunteered on it. Vendors who do all four weekends should get them too. We should be encouraged to display them or wear them each year, showing our dedication to the show, year after year. 3) We should be pre-approved. What I mean is that we should be able to forgo the jury process for the next year and know that we have been selected and admitted for the next year. We should still pay the application fee and the space fee, but spare us the hassle of sending in slides again and again, year after year. 4) Priority spaces. People who attend the whole show and want a particular space should be given the priority of having it over people who are there only one or two weekends. And if this isn't feasible, at least let us choose where we want to be if we can't have the same space as the previous year.

Overall for all vendors I think we need a little place to call our own. This year there was an empty booth and they put in benches and closed it off so crafters have a quiet place to sit for a bit. But it needs a little more. I for one would like some hot water for tea or instant coffee. I'm not even asking for free tea bags or coffee, just the water to be able to make it. It burns me every time I want some tea and a food vendor charges me $1 for it, and all I want is the hot water- not the bag! I mean Friday morning it was 27 degrees out. The tent may be heated, but it is by no means hot and comfortable. And when a heater dies, its just plain cold in there!

No comments: