4.03.2006

March 27-April 2- Week 13

At the end of last week I instituted a new way to attack my two do lists. Now I first work on my daily routines- things that need to get done every day. Then I move on to the list of things for the business that need to happen in the workshop. Hopefully by after lunch I can move upstairs and attack homework, business things to do on the computer, and personal things to do. After this is all done I go to the MASTER LIST. That list of things that seem to never get done, the one that hangs out for months at a time, never getting any shorter. Now I try and do one thing a day. 30 things- 30 days. It still isn’t getting any shorter, but the list is at least changing and things get deleted and added. We’ll see how this goes for a month.

I’m a little stressed about my upcoming show. It’s at Hofstra University- a flower show. I’ve never done it before and I’ve never gone out on Long Island for a show before either. I have to go set up and do the first day by myself because C is on a business trip to Mexico and won’t get in until late Friday night. I don’t know where I’m going, what kind of neighborhood the hotel is in (or the University for that matter), and what kind of turn out the show is going to get. I may sit there and twiddle my thumbs, I may be swamped. I just don’t know.

Last week as I finished my entry the heater had broken. It was the coupling that attached the motor to the pump for the hot water baseboard system. It got fixed quite quickly on Monday. Also on Monday I had a great experience with a new display vendor- one came broken and it was a pleasure to get a new one sent out- no hassles. How cool is that! I also got the recall on my car fixed and my oil changed on Monday. I hate my dealership- I always feel lied to and that it is impossible to get good honest service from them. I don’t know how they keep they 5 star rating. All I know is from now on when I get called for my after service survey they’re gonna hear it from me for sure.

Tuesday I just took some time to do some paperwork- a few things from my MASTER LIST that were costing me money month after month and I was just too lazy to call and cancel. Also went to the post office and mailed out the April newsletter. I finished homework for my classes so I could start new ones on Wednesday.

Wednesday: new classes- Advanced HTML and Business Success Seminar. The seminar seems like it will be pretty easy as log as I can keep up on the writing. The HTML isn’t hard per se, just labor intensive. I have a cool final project so I hope to redo some of the web site in a much more easy to update way- using CSS.

Thursday- I got the newsletter (e-mail version) ready to send and finished hemming the new fabric I bought for the tables in my display.

Friday: errand day and I learned to decorate eggs using Pysanky. It is an easy technique to learn, but hard to master. It involves layering dyes and wax to draw a design onto an egg. B and I went, it was her idea and I am so glad that she came up with it. It was uber-cool! You can learn more at http://www.learnpysanky.com/getting_started.html.

Saturday: C and I set up my display with all of the new elements that I have bought lately. We took pictures so I can remember how to set it up the first few times. It really adds a lot of height and color that I hope helps attract customers. I just need a few banner signs now and I’ll be set for a while. We also went to BJ’s to get me a new table to work on since the ones I was using go back to being part of the display and we emptied the van of all the stuff that I picked up at my old storage unit about a month ago when I emptied and closed that.

Sunday: House hunting. We are going to have to take a few weeks off because of shows and Easter so we tried to fit in quite a few this week. More and more we learn how picky we are and hard to please. Lets see, the first two we didn’t bother going into- either they looked really small or weren’t in as good an areas as we though they’d be. The third one was cool, if I won Powerball and had enough money to renovate it the way I want to. The fourth was pretty awesome, but didn’t have any off street parking- a deal breaker. The fifth was not as nice as the fourth and way over priced. And finally number 6 was just not what we were looking for. I’m tired of looking and I am glad that we have a few weeks off.

No comments: