6.11.2012

Spring Indiemade Craft Market

Years ago when I started crafting every show was a new adventure. I saw new and spectacular things, it was hard for me not to spend all the money I made at an event just to bring home some of these wondrous creations. Then as time passed things changed. I got better at telling what was actually hand crafted and what was not, what was a truly innovative concept and what was not, and what was made with exceptional quality and what was not. I got more skeptical, more jaded, and my purchases at shows became smaller and smaller until something had to be super special for me to part with money over it.

Then came the indie made craft movement. Things got funky again. Lots of recycled crafts, up-cycled trash into wondrous new things. New twists on old crafts, with new hip motifs. Things were new and fresh again. You didn't need the monster 10'x10' display with the rugs and the walls and the lights, you could set up an 8' table and go for it. It harkened back to the stories I heard about crafting in 1970 when you could just about go to any park and lay out a blanket and sell that day.

Maybe I am getting more jaded again, that the envelope for new, fresh, and funky needs to be pushed farther for me to be impressed again. Or maybe the indie made scene is dying out, slowing down, kicking back a little. I don't know. I know that this weekends show lacked the pizazz for me it has had in the past. It could be me, I don't know. I used to feel that I wasn't young, cool, or funky enough for the show, now I feel as though I fit in just fine. Maybe I am getting cooler, maybe the world is warming up.

The product quality was there, but to me some of the displays lacked professionalism. Call me old school, but I think if you are going to put a sheet on a table as a cover, be sure it is big enough to cover the ugly ass boxes and containers you have under the table. It takes away the mystique when you can see that crap. It is the difference between an upscale boutique and a big box wholesale store. Do you want to be perceived as Tiffany's or Sam's Club? Or just go the no cover routine, which is a statement in itself.

So how did I do? My sales were ok. Based on show fee and show location I would be back in a heartbeat. We saw lots of repeat customers. Because of the goody bags you get a big draw right at the beginning of the day. That is a refreshing way to start a show, with a line waiting to get in. That doesn't happen too often. The last few hours (like at ALL shows( kinda dragged on a bit, but we opened and closed the show with our two biggest sales of the day, so that was a cool, full circle kind of thing.

I LOVE this show. I Love to LOVE this show.

The rest of the week, what was that all about? It was all about catching up on inventory and going to farm markets. I am super excited that my list of things to make is currently empty. I am all caught up except for some labels. It is a nice place to be and depending on sales, we might even stay here until Kutztown starts. Yay! Dad did fantastic at the farm markets again, those are really picking up for us and it is great the weather has been with us so far this year. This week we only have the markets so if you need soap that is where we will be!

Hope to see you soon!

No comments: