6.26.2013

A Weeks Work

According to some preliminary research, most countries in the world work a 40-44 hour work week. 8 hours a day sounds pretty reasonable, you figure 8 to work, 8 to sleep, 8 to do everything else...but it never does work out that way does it?

 I watch C since he is the one with the "typical" job in the family (if you can imagine his constant travel as typical, ha!), and realize that this certainly doesn't work out at all. He gets up two hours before work to shower, have breakfast, and drive to work, then he works 8 hours (only 8 if he is lucky). Then there is the hour or so drive home. So that's 11 hours right there. Dinner is another hour or so, so this leave 4 hours before bed time. Add in house things like paying bills, fixing the computer, calling mom, and sneaking in a hour of TV, and the day is gone.On a good night, he doesn't have additional work he has taken home, and he will get a good night's sleep.

Compare this with my "typical days": Awake at 5 am, on the computer printing orders and answering emails by 6 am, in the workshop by 7 am, out by 2pm. (8 hour day). Then running, errands/housework, dinner, and 2-4 hours of whatever I want to do (typically knitting, gardening, or reading). In bed around 9, asleep by 10. This is not craft show season...(during season I TRY to take a day off each week, notice I said TRY)

During show season it adds on two days a week of crazy. If a show runs from 10am-6pm this is my day: Awake at 5 and on the computer and printing orders/answering emails as soon as I can clearly see the screen, in the shop filling mail orders and packing last minute pick up requests by 6. Leave by 7am, arrive by 8 am, set up and be ready to sell by 10am. Close the booth at 6 pm, home by 7 pm. Grab dinner, take a shower, pack inventory needed for the next day, crawl into bed by 10, fall immediately to sleep. Repeat on Sunday, except add an hour of tear down at the end of the day too.

If you are C, you come with me because this is your only chance this week to see me, and you still go to work Monday as usual. If you are a part time craftsperson, you do the same thing. At least I can sleep late Monday if I want.

Then there are the really crazy shows. Kutztown is 81 hours in 9 days (that is two regular work weeks) , Musikfest is 105 (2.5 work weeks!) in 10 days...add in drive hours, showers, eating, packing inventory, answering emails/orders, and keeping the house in working order, there isn't much time left for sleep. 

This is why I get defensive when I am asked if I "have a real job" besides making soap, chuckle when I am told "I would love to do something like this after I retire", and try not to scream when asked "why does this cost so much". I used to keep a time chart to see how many hours I worked a year and what my true hourly wage was, it was too depressing so I stopped.I do this because I love it, I can't imagine anything different. C said to me the other day that crafting "came with the package" when he met me. That there was nothing else he could see me doing, and asking me to give it up would take away the woman he fell in love with. I do this because it is a passion, an addiction, a calling. That is why every artisan does what he/she does...we really have no other option and be happy.




No comments: