6.19.2013

Lessions in Business I learned from Running

Yep, really, it is a post about running.

I am not a "real" runner, not by my definition of "real" anyway: I only long about 10 miles a week, I have a 12-13 minute mile pace (some people walk faster than I run), I am discouraged by heavy rain, am totally stopped by snow, and currently I am following the Running Mate "Fastest 5K" program (because I just can't motivate myself without a program of some sort).

What I can say is that when I started this journey about 4 years ago, 30 seconds was too far to run without stopping, and no matter how slow I am now, I was slower when sitting on my sofa. But I am glad I have been on this journey and here are a few things I have learned along the way, about running, and running a business.

1) Half of everything is mental. If you can get your brain focused on something, if you can see yourself doing it, and enjoying it, the body will follow without much question. Your brain often tires out and gives in before your body does. That is why some days at the computer feel like we have run a marathon, we have exhausted our brains.

2) If you fall behind, regroup, and try again, you often haven't fallen as far behind as you think. When working the 5k101 running plan, I would have to stop for many things: long shows, winter, etc. When I got back to the program, sometimes after three months, I would only have to go back two or three weeks in the workout (not restart), and I bounced back pretty fast. Same thing with work, if you fall behind, get going as soon as you can, and the bounce back will be more painless than you expect.

3) Following a plan is good. I started with the 5K101, have moved onto the Fastest 5K program and plan on moving onto a 10k program near the end of the year. Having a plan helps keep me motivated, I can see my progress in a tangible way. Same for business: make a plan, actually make two or three plans: daily, monthly, yearly. Follow them and make changes accordingly. Not all motivation comes from within, and we can be our own worst enemy. Having a plan can keep us on track when our brains and bodies want us to stop.

4) It's all about the shoes. It took me 4 pairs before I found what works for me. Now I am pain free almost all the time. Find out what makes a task painless for you. It may take a few tries, but once you find it, stick with it.

5) Hills hurt both on the way up, and on the way down. Growth hurts, change hurts, but when you start to go down, fighting it hurts too. In running you try not to fight the down hill (too much pressure on the knees) but in business you have to fight it. Try to stay as flat as possible, don't grow too fast, the downgrade on the flip side will be just as painful. Little steps, small but consistent growth is the key to the least amount of pain. Remember you are in this for the duration of a marathon, not a sprint.

6) Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Eat right, drink water, go to the doctor, have your eyes checked and your teeth cleaned. Basically, take care of yourself. The better you feel the better you perform, in anything.

7) Ugly feet are a badge of honor. The worse my feet look, the harder I am training. Blisters, callouses, funky toe nails, all of it I have grown to love. What do you do that leaves an impression on you? Grow to like it, love it. Use it as a conversation starter, wear it with pride.

8) Competition makes you run harder, but find a pace you can handle and stick with it. It is tempting when new competition comes on the scene to try your best to keep up, or out pace them. But if that is too fast for you, you will burn out before the end of the race. You can speed up a little, push yourself to a personal record, but keep a pace you can finish with. My bet is you will pass some of those who just burst out of the gate before you finish. And even if you don't pas them, you will finish with your personal record, and aren't we really the only competition we have?

9) Add some fun sometimes. Not everything needs to be a competition. Do some things just because you like them. Color Run anyone?

10) Find your time of day for optimal performance. I like to run between 5:30-7:30 am. Some people prefer the afternoons. Same for work. When you are self employed, find the time you work best and stick to it the best you can. You get the most bang for your buck and work at your most efficient.

And at that, it is time for me to go for a run! Enjoy and hope to see you all soon!




No comments: