6.03.2013

Hidden Gems

I am always on the lookout for what I call Hidden Gems. These are small shows, with small entrance fees, that give back a large return on the investment. They are few and far between, and if we are lucky, after trying a dozen or more new shows each year we may find one hidden gem, and the next year it still may not be as good as the first time. 

Let's run some hypothetical numbers: if I pay $200 for a space at a craft show (and this is not any expensive show by the way), I would have to sell considerably more than $200 to break even. If my cost to produce a bar of soap is 50% of each dollar I make, then a $200 show would need to have sales of above $400 in order to show a profit. This break even point is considerably lower for shows that cost less to enter, but there is much more of a gamble that the show will not be well attended, organized, or promoted. 

It is because so often these small shows are put on by inexperienced promoters, have a committee that turns over every few years (thus bringing new changes with it), and are operating on a shoe string budget, that they are such a gamble. I like to think of artisans as just one level above cattle. Promoters are most often just selling spaces. If the event is "juried" then there is a chance they at least care about the level of arts and crafts being displayed, but that still doesn't promise a balanced show, there could be 90 jewelers and 10 soapmakers out of 100 total vendors. We just don't know until the vendor list is published, or until we get there. 

I have tried going to shows as a consumer in order to check it out. This rarely works for me. It does seem to tip me off to the shows I should totally avoid, but it doesn't tell me a lick out how I would do selling at the event. So many shows now have a high vendor turn over so just because this year there isn't a soapmaker, that doesn't mean next year the promoter won't let in five. Now I just sign up and go. I figure if I can break even on a new show, it is at the very least advertisement,and I hope to see sales in the future from new contacts made at the event. If I stay home and research shows I am guaranteed to make no income that day, if I just guess and go, at least I have a chance at finding a hidden gem. You can't win if you don't play;)

Mostly I rely on customers and other artisans for what shows to try. If my customers like me and like a show, hopefully that shows brings in more people just like them, and I may do well. My fellow artisans can give me the low down on what shows are good for them, but this still never guarantees success. But once again, if I like their work, then hopefully going where they go will lead me to people who will like my work too. 

So that is why you see us at so many events each year...we are in a search for a hidden gem!

No comments: