7.03.2013

It's all about the bonnets

Many. many moons ago, before becoming a Soapmaker I was a contract employee at a large theme park in Orlando Florida. You know the one, the one with the giant mice running around with their goofy dog friend :) Well when I was there I had the privilege of working with many people who has been there for eons. Some of these people had been there long enough that they personally knew the founder of that place, or had least had the opportunity to meet him while he was alive.

But the business was changing, there was a palatable feeling in the air of old vs new. The young guns, the bean counters, the newest technologies were taking things over. Most of the old timers didn't like it. They thought that there was a sacrifice in quality happening, and a change in how everyone was being treated, that the family was gone, and it was just a business now.

When I left that place, a few people got together and bought me a watch and a necklace with said mouse on it. I got a card that told me that I did things the old way, and that a certain person, if he were alive that day, would have been proud of me. I have all of those things still to this day. I cherish them and the people who gave them to me. I cherish their ideals, their work ethic, and all the things I learned from them. In a little way I try to honor them every day in the way I run my business, treat my customers, and make my products.

So now you are thinking...what's up with the bonnets?

Well, I am about halfway through a nine day show called the Kutztown Folk Festival. It has been here for over 60 years. It too has gone through it's changes. It has been run by different people, had its internal political issues, and is always trying to stay old, but still attract the youth and new customers. It is always a challenge, and some people like the changes, and some don't. Some think they are sacrificing the quality of the show, and some don't. No mater what, they can't make everyone happy, that is just the way life is.

But for the last 60+ years, Zion UCC Church has been a food vendor there. They came together as a community and worked for weeks serving old fashioned foods, made by hand at the festival site, and served with love and Christian goodwill. It was a fundraiser, it was community outreach, it was a way for them to come together for a common goal. But they too are undergoing change, and the battle between old versus new, young versus old seems to be raging in their ranks. Last year was their last at the festival. they cannot come back, their entire set up has been auctioned off, they have no resources to ever return.

Yes, they even auctioned off the bonnets. Three of my customers, UCC parishioners, people who I proudly call friends now, bid on, washed and fixed most of the bonnets that were available. I was presented with a bag of these bonnets on Friday before the show opened. This week I am wearing one every day of the festival. These items have a history all their own. Many are decades old, only seeing the light of day for a week each summer. I will bring them out each year and in my own little way continue the tradition. I am proud to have been given this gift. I will cherish them long past my time at this festival. To me this represents a little binding between old and new.

No comments: