7.22.2013

Survival Mode

I have explained my life to people in terms of a roller coaster. January through April is the steady climb up the first hill. I am plugging along, making soap, filling orders, and getting ready for the inevitable drop. May through December is the rest of the coaster: there are twists and turns, hills and valleys, and even a few dark tunnels and slow spots, but mostly I am just hanging on for the ride. Once Christmas comes, I have pulled into the load off point, and slowly walk around to get back into the queue to ride again in just a few weeks.

But how do you survive as an artisan, with a family, during those time where you are just hanging on and the corkscrew of life is leaving you dizzy and nauseous? 

Two words: Survival Mode. This is where my abilities to triage my life comes into play. Here are some of my tips:

1) Don't worry about other people so much as you usually do. Let them take care of themselves. Trust that if they need you they will let you know. Explain to your family and friends that if they need you, you will be there, but your crystal ball is on the fritz, and you won't be able to "just tell" when they need you, they will need to speak up. 

2) Take time to chill: your way. Don't let anyone tell you how to relax. Want to read, then read. Want to go dance, then go dance. 

3) Your family is in this pressure cooker with you. I still wonder if my family tries to drive me nuts more during Musikfest because they miss me, or if they just drive me nuts easier because I am so tired and stressed. It is probably a combination of the two. Cut them some slack, don't say or do things you may regret later. 

4) Set small goals in order to feel accomplished. There are times of the year that taking a shower makes my list of things to do, and it feels good (in more ways than one), to cross that one off the list. 

5) Remember that what you are doing is hard, you are not a wimp. You are working crazy hours, in an emotionally draining environment, and you have a family to be a part of with all the ups and downs it brings on too.

6) Try not to think about your problem when you are tired. They seem much worse than they really are. Worry when you get up, not just before bed. 

7) Find grace. If this is through prayer, meditation, or something else. Don't stress about not making it to services, yoga class, or what have you. This is most likely a self imposed guilt and you don't need that right now on top of everything else too. My God listens if I just pray at night when in bed and the house is quiet, I hope yours does too, and can be pleased even with the most feeble prayers.

8) If you can't be consistent, be sure your shock and awe is memorable. I tend to believe that you teach the people around you how to treat you. This is best taught through consistency, but if a line is crossed, be sure it isn't crossed again. Get creative. When one of my favorite gluten free pizzas was eaten by someone other than me, I proclaimed that we never had to get regular pizza ever again just for them, since the family obviously liked mine just as much. They have never eaten my pizza again, they are never too lazy to dial the phone and order their own.

9) Don't go crazy with junk food, or alcohol for that matter. It will only make life harder in the long run. 

10) Exercise, but not to exhaustion. Anything that gets your blood pumping is good. No time to run? Park at the back of the parking lot. Don't be lazy, but don't be crazy either.

11) Set priorities with your spouse or family members. Approach housework together and errands too. Be a support network. Communicate needs to one another. Find solutions together. Don't just dictate.

12) Make good sleep a priority for everyone in the house.

Once this time of survival is over, then take a break, recharge, and thrive!

No comments: