7.20.2009

My past week or so...

Well I have made a quite a bit of soap, mostly Egyptian Cotton and Lavender-Patch. I wanted to make sure I had enough to get me through Musikfest and into the fall. I also worked on Merlot soap and am experimenting on using a slightly different recipes, so hopefully it won't be quite so crumbly in the future.

I also worked on making samplers. The last for the year I think. I have run out of crates and they are so expensive I don't think I will be buying anymore this year if I can help it. Last time I bought them I bought enough for 2 years and I probably will do that again, so I have to be sure I have enough room to store them all too.

I have harvested about 1/2 of my garlic from the garden, about 20 or so cloves. Some are really small, I think my soil got too compacted, but some are huge so I think I will have more garlic than I need for quite a while. I have also been harvesting beans, a handful here and there. I like these that I am growing because the harvest is ongoing. Last year I planted some that you harvested all at the same time and then they were done, so I had a ton that I had to eat right away, this year I can have some every week.

My tomatoes are growing and have little green tomatoes. I am wondering what kind my volunteers will be. I sort of hope they are yellow, since the ones I plated are red. I also found a few more volunteers amongst the wonderberry... The wonderberry are flowering, the cauliflower is almost ready to harvest, the green peppers have flowers, and the luffa is growing so tall pretty soon I will need to harvest it from my second story bathroom window!

I met a nice crafter who reads my blog. At first I thought it was odd, she knew so much about me and I knew so little about her, but then I felt almost famous in a silly way. But we were neighbors at the Blueberry festival and we had a good time being next to each other, so I think I made a new friend:)

OK, i am off to do work. I have been lazy today. The heat and hours of the Blueberry fest kicked my butt and I am tired and sore. I have to get back into shape for these shows, I lack the stamina. But since I have 5 weekends in a row now, I think I will be back in shape in no time!

1 comment:

maria said...

Hi Hedge! It's your neighbor from the Blueberry Festival. :-)

It was so nice to finally meet you and get a chance to talk shop. I'm sorry to hear your sales were down so much this year. Hopefully they will rebound next year ... unless you find a new show to try out instead.

I know what you mean about needing to 'get in condition' for shows. They're very physical and the first one or two I do each year kick my butt too. Good exercise, though.

Good luck with your upcoming shows! I hope we'll get a chance to be neighbors again at a future show.

Maria