5.05.2009

More rain...

It is another rain filled day, it is just not going to stop. Saturday is dreary, Sunday was wet, yesterday all it did was rain, and today it continues. It may dry out (but be cloudy) tomorrow) and then rain again on Thursday. I guess I shouldn't complain, rain during the week is better than rain on the weekend of a show. Besides, after a week of rain everyone will want to get out of their house and do something and hopefully that means coming to a craft show.

The rain means all I want to do is sit and nap, or sit and knit, with some large sweater or afghan on my lap. I started a new sweater the other day. There has been this patter that was just nagging at me to knit it. Usually it is the yarn that speaks to me- like the skein of camel that I just HAD to do SOMETHING with (it became a neck warmer), but this time it was the pattern. It is a simple pattern, with minimal seaming, and I KNEW i had the PERFECT yarn in my stash for it. So I bought it and started.

One thing about me is that I knit oddly. I rarely can get gauge. Typically I have to go down 2 needle sizes to get stitch gauge, and that messes me up on row gauge. So I tried going down to 13's and was waaay off, and then up to 17's and that didn't help. I ended up going out an buying the recommended needles (15's) and then altering the pattern from there. Luckily, it comes with a schematic that tells you what the dimensions should be, so after getting close to stitch gauge, I am just kitting to the dimensions rather than bothering with the number of rows it calls for.

It was funny, C asked me if this is always what my knitting is like- I told him it is if I am actually knitting something where I care about the fit or size, but typically I just go for it. I figure if I can't wear it someone else can and it will always find a home. But with the expensive yarn, then I fiddle till it will fit right. I am not spending a ton of money on yarn to be forced to rip it our or give it away.

On a soaping note, I started making new fragrances yesterday. Some shaving soaps were completed as well as some merlot. It smells great and using the wine as the liquid base gives it a red/brown color which certainly is distinctive. I didn't take into consideration the lower boiling point of the alcohol, so it was a little more challenging to get the soap made, but it all seems fine today. I love the challenge:)

No comments: