7.16.2008

PA State Laurel Festival June 20-21, 2008

This show is in a beautiful part of the state and is in one of the quaintest towns you can ever imagine. I would think it is like being transported back into 1950. The lamps on main street are still gas (not electric), the whole town comes out for the parade and starts setting up chairs along the route days before it starts and no one steals them. The festival even has a queen. The diner in town was built in the 1930’s and there is a farm stand right outside of it on the weekends.

The show itself is pretty large- over 100 vendors and takes place in a park that has a wonderful fountain in the middle of it. I even got interviewed by a local newspaper and got a mention in the article about the show.

It is set up well, it is easy to set up, hard to tear down because it is impossible to park near your spot. It has some very nice crafts, no junk. But it was overwhelmed by soap makers. I counted 7 booths that had soap or some kind of herbal toiletries of some kind. Way too many for a show this size. Sales were about 60% of what I had projected, but with all that competition I did better than I thought I would. It rained on and off both days. The local main street was hit by lightening and lost power for a few hours, and the parade was finished in the pouring rain.

There were die hard buyers despite the weather, but I do think it impacted overall attendance and sales.

Overall this is a maybe again show. I have to keep an eye on hotel and gas prices and decide if it is worth another try next year. The experience was pleasant enough to try again for sure.

No comments: