1.20.2016

Farm Show Recap

It was my first year exhibiting at the PA Farm Show and i was very nervous beforehand. I actually get so freaked at new events that I think I may even exhibit some traits of impostor syndrome.

Impostor syndrome is a term coined in 1978. Women often work hard in order to prevent people from discovering that they are "impostors." This hard work often leads to more praise and success, which perpetuates the impostor feelings and fears of being "found out." The "impostor" women may feel they need to work two or three times as hard, so over-prepare, tinker and obsess over details. This can lead to burn-out and sleep deprivation.

Yeah, that isn't me at all *smirk*

But seriously. I overdid it a bit. I needed to be sure I had everything perfect. Probably why I had nightmares before set up and had only taken 6 days off since the beginning of November. (If you must know I still haven't taken time...maybe Friday??)

But after all that prep how did it go... a big solid OK. I learned a TON. I learned about the show's demographics and what products were most popular. I learned where it was best to park, that I need a different hotel next year, and what hours are busiest during the day. I learned my space location wasn't the best, but I also figured out where I want to be next year and how to go about asking for the space. I learned that electric is a necessity but carpeting in my space is not.

The show is long (more hours than Kutztown but less than Musikfest) and the place can get packed with people depending on the day. Customers and other exhibitors are super friendly. I expected it to be cold and it wasn't. Load in and out were a pain (out was so much worse than in).

Sales volume was very good, average sale size was below average, but most customers were new so just wanted to try what I have to offer, not jump into a 10 bar purchase. All in all I think I have a  very solid foundation on which to build a great event.

Now to get caught up (whose great idea was it to post a sale right after I got back? Oh yeah.. mine, oops) and take a few days off to rest and plan whats next.

This is going to be an exciting year full of new things (I hope!)!

No comments: