3.24.2014

Confusion Creates Cash

Many moons ago I worked in a different industry than crafts and we used this saying all the time: confusion creates cash. I may be one of the only people to admit it, but it is true for most savvy businesses, no matter what your industry.

When I am approached for a special order, it is my job to walk you through the process. It is my job to send you samples, it it my job to quote you a price and a time frame for the work to be completed in. Those are all things I need to do if I accept special orders, and these are actually all things that I really enjoy doing.

I love the process of what I do. I love to sit down with someone who has a hint of an idea and work through all the possibilities and scenarios. I love to talk about what things will cost and how long they will take to make. I love the challenge of getting things done on time and in a manner that will make my customer insanely happy with my work. I love making people happy.

When it comes to orders of something for a special occasion I truly believe there is no higher compliment than someone being willing to share my products with their friends and family at a special event. Wanting my products to be a part of a special day filled with memories that will last forever just overwhelms me when I sit and think about how undeniably wonderful that it.

So far I have been blessed with very little drama in this area of my business. I think special orders are amazing, they keep my creativity flowing, they help me figure out what may be the next trend I should be watching, and they help me build my business- what better way to reach new people- they get samples of my work!

However, there comes a time where confusion creates cash. It may be a bridezilla scenario, it may just be a short time frame, it may just be plain indecisiveness. Approving a sample and then changing your mind after ingredients have been purchased will cost more. Wanting special labels designed and printed in just a few days, will cost more. Having a time frame so short that things needs to be sent overnight delivery just to get them here on time will cost more. If the only way I can physically get your order done on time is to pull an all-nighter, or to hire in help, this will cost you more. I am sorry but your confusion has created cash for someone. It may be for the delivery service, it may be for the graphic designer making your labels, it may be for the printers, and it may just be for me.

So just keep this rule in mind anytime you are asking any business to do something special just for you (even if doing something special is their primary business). You will save money by doing things early, being nice about it, and making timely decisions.




No comments: