1.03.2014

Interesting things you learn

So I was doing some research into Sassafras.

Way back when , it was used in the production of perfumes and to scent soaps and even in aromatherapy. It's root extract was also used to make root beer. Today I can still get sassafras leaf powder (Gumbo File) to thicken gumbos and other Cajun foods. I wanted to use it in soap like it had been used historically as a fragrance, and my herbal research taught me it was though to have antiseptic properties and would be good for skin sores.

But why is it nearly impossible for me to get the essential oil? Because this is yet another example where "natural" doesn't always mean it's good for you.

Safrole, the main component in the oil was found to be carcinogenic (and causing liver damage) in the 1960's and was banned from being used in mass produced foods and drugs. As of 1994 sassafras root extracts that have had their safrole removed are still able to be used in brewing teas and root beer.

But the main reason I can't find it in quantities large enough to make a few hundred bars of soap with? Because safrole is used in making the drug XTC (Ecstasy). There is even a DEA Notice to the Public on their website: NOTICE - Safrole and Sassafras Oil are used in the Illicit Manufacture of MDMA. 

Well all right then. No natural sassafras for me.

I kind of wonder if my Google searches have landed me on some DEA watch list already ;)

So I have decided to skip the fragrance this year. I need to look into if these non-safrole extracts can be used in soapmaking or if the fragrance will dissipate too quickly to be worth it.  

But that is the fun of my job...I learn something new every day!






No comments: