12.02.2013

Have we lost all etiquette?

There is something interesting about working retail, you sort of blend into the background and disappear. People will have conversations right in front of you, about you or your product, when you are less than two feet away. Working retail in a moveable store front as an artisan is even more interesting because your demographic changes from show to show and the culture changes from location to location.

When those conversations are happening right there, it is hard not to get angry when they are demoralizing. It is hard not to defend yourself, I have in the past and I only regret it later because I let that person drag me to a level that isn't the real me.

I have learned that income doesn't buy class, or etiquette. Some people can only feel better about themeseves when they try to make you look or feel bad. This has little do do with income and more to do with upbringing than most people like to admit. Not letting them tear you down is the only way to win, you can't feed the monsters.

We artisans need to wear many hats. For many of us we create five days a week in the peace and quiet and lonesomeness of our studios. We are then expected to come out on the weekends and turn on our retail personalities and interpersonal skills like a light switch. Some days this is easier than others.Some days we are great at it, make no mistakes, remember all the right words to describe our art, and let insults run down our backs like water. Other days we stumble for the right change, fight with getting the credit card machine to swipe, forget what we think are key points to something we have been doing for a decade or more, and bite back when bitten first.

I had a family member come help for the first time this weekend. She was amazed how much energy goes into s day, and the booth was already set up and didn't need to be torn down at the end of the day too. She likened it to a job where you work a whole week, and then only get paid if it doesn't rain on Saturday. How many "normal" people would work hard at a job if that was the way it worked everywhere?

So why is this post titled about etiquette? Just to remind us all during this time of year when lines are long, parking lots are packed, and tensions are high, that we are all human. We are all people. We all have loved ones, passions, cares, and troubles. Forgive a little, relax a little, and be nice. I try and remind myself that every day.

Also: if you are the woman who said my soap looked like dog food, I am sorry that when you realized I heard you and apologized I told you "It's OK, you are only insulting my livelihood". I should have just let it roll down my back like water. I am not proud of that one :(


2 comments:

Kel said...

Flaaaaames...
From the side of my face...
Burning...

I would have said something if I was there. You need a snarky soap bouncer? I got this...

Beth S said...

I commiserate, although sometimes it isn't upbringing:

I know a wealthy gal who is a rude shopper. She was raised with plenty of love and plenty of discipline...perhaps too much discipline...
She was a nice person until her apt bldg burned and she lost everything.
I don't know why she lashes out at salespeople and other shoppers.
I'm embarrassed by it, so i avoid hanging out with her now.
Years ago, when i did spend more time with her, i tried to correct her or get her to see her actions from the other person's perspective.
She acts as if she's the only person on the planet who matters, and unfortunately, that includes people who used to be her friends.
I suppose counseling could help her, but she doesn't think her behavior is abnormal. Some people can't be "fixed" so the best we can do is accept that there are jerks in this world, ignore or avoid them as best we can (because pounding them into a pulp is illegal), and rejoice that the majority of folks are good.