5.06.2013

Yay for Spring!

I love May for so many reasons. Getting to celebrate my birthday, watch the farm markets start up, having lots of weekend shows, and gardening are just a few of my favorite things.

This year the garden has already been worked on quite a bit. The peas are up, I think the radishes are almost done, lettuce is up, and the corn is up too. I love the process of gardening. To me there is a sense of adventure I find every day. I was elated when my asparagus came up this year. I had planted it last year and was so happy to see it made the winter. I go out every day or so and see things growing before my eyes. Sometimes things I try work, like learning I love kohlrabi, and some things don't, like the fava bean debacle of 2011. I think my outlook on life is best reflected in my garden- just try it, if you don't like it or it doesn't work, it doesn't have to happen again. I don't take my garden too seriously, and I am pleased for any outcome I get each season. Every bite is a tiny blessing, a tiny way to be proud that some of my food actually is grown by my own hand, I get very proud of my garden.

Now I love that farm markets start soon. We take part in two of them, and they start next week. They are wonderful communities to be a part of and I enjoy the fact that when my garden doesn't produce, I can always get things from people I have come to know so well. The spring craft shows are always so much fun. I can just see the smiles on peoples faces when the sun comes out and you can see their stress lift. I just completed my first outdoor show of the season yesterday and I found it tiring but rewarding. I forgot how much work goes into setting up the booth and then having the breeze whipping at you all day, all I can say is that I slept very well last night. But my favorite part is seeing customers I haven't seen since the fall. I get to see kids grow up, people get married (or divorced), move away or move back home. I never thought when I started crafting that this would be an aspect of my life, having this family of customers. It has been such a pleasant surprise to have happen to me.

So I hope you all have a great Spring. I hope you take care of yourselves and your families. I wish upon you time to relax and enjoy the sunshine and breezes. I hope to see you soon!

No comments: