5.13.2013

Blame it on the Rain

I wonder if there is other vocations that blame the weather for their problems as much has artist/crafters do?

I have heard it all:

People are not here because of the rain.
It is too hard to park in the snow, so attendance is low.
They are not here because it is too nice out and they are all doing yard work
There is no attendance due to the wind, it is scary to people.

My booth location is too: windy, sunny, cold, muddy, etc...

Now I am not saying that the weather isn't a factor in the attendance of shows many days. But I think most days fluctuate only 10-20% except for torrential rain, crazy snow, and tornado wind, then not only is there no attendance, the show should be cancelled in my opinion in order to keep the crafters safe too. 

But I have found it to be an excuse for a bad show. It is the "it's not my fault" mentality. It isn't my booth design, it  isn't my product, it isn't that this show has the wrong demographic of attendees, it is not my attitude...it is the weather, it is all out of my hands, I am the victim here.

If you set up outside to sell for a living all I can say is GET OVER IT. You will have bad days, you will have good days, and you will have great days, but mostly it isn't the weather that caused it. . Do something to make your booth look more attractive in the weather, keep a smile on your face, and your mouth shut. Complaining to your potential customers just drives them further away. 

Weather can help and it can hinder, yes, but look inward first before you blame the rain.



1 comment:

Barbie Lynn said...

Great blog. Yes! A smile works wonders. I do not consider myself a "people person", but I am learning how to interact in an inviting, non-aggressive way and it makes a HUGE difference. PLAY with your booth setup and note what seems to work, what customers are drawn to, etc. LISTEN to potential customers' wants and needs - you may find a expansion to your line or new line of product to provide. And always take responsibility, own your mistakes and listen to criticism - it hurts but there might be some truth to it. So... what can you do to improve? Again, GREAT BLOG!