3.06.2013

March 1-March 6, 2013

I have to say that once in a wile an event happens and it really changes my life. This weekend was just such an event. I gave a soapmaking demonstration at Old Poole Forge in Lancaster County. It was amazing that all the time I spend exploring down that way, I had never found this place and it was literally just three miles from places that I go all the time. There are always such hidden gems that are lost amongst the clutter of the marketing the big places can afford.

The event itself was fun, it was a two hour demo on soap making. We made a simple olive oil soap and it was meant for the participants to be able to learn the basic method, using easily obtained ingredients, and to take some of the scary out of the process being able to see someone else do it first hand. The whole thing was pretty typical for what I do and wasn't that part that changed my life. What it was was the participants.

 I did not grow up in Pennsylvania and when I moved here the plain folk (primarily Amish and Mennonite) were like aliens from another planet. I had no idea why they believed what they did, and why they shunned technology and other modern ways. As I lived here I learned and researched all I could, and really just learned the basics, but never got the chance to really have an interaction on a meaningful level. Well here I was giving this demonstration and I had four Mennonite ladies, how exciting! I have to admit I loved the fact that all of my self inflicted stereotypes were shattered! I expected quiet, shy, and well versed in soapmaking. I was amazed how right off the bat we were all more alike than different, and how just like me, they have had things lost through the generations and are trying to regain them and hold onto what they have. Just like I am gaining back canning and preserving, they wanted to regain soapmaking. And I am just like them, trying to live a simple, meaningful life while concentrating on my family and community. After two hours I wished I could have spent days with these ladies.I made friends, it was awesome.

The rest of the weekend was just trying to catch up on so many things. I labeled the remainder of the lip balms, and scheduled the rest of the week. Monday started out a little harsh and I just could not get anything of of my to do list. I really was just stuck in the mud and things were taking much longer than I had expected.

Tuesday my head was in a fog, fighting some sinus something. Not sure yet if it is a cold or the onset of allergy season. But whatever I did it seemed wrong. I missed little things and had to start again or redo it all. It was a frustrating day. That night I had an event at The Knitter's Edge in Bethlehem where I got to give a talk on my products and me and showcase the new fragrances of 2013. It was very exiting and kind stressful. There were so many new faces there and so many I have known for a while. It its funny, having people I know there is more stressful than knowing no one. I think if I don't know anyone, if I make a mistake or leave something out, only I will know, but if I know people and make a mistake, they will know it too!

So that leaves me to today. I wish Spring would just get here! I hope the snow doesn't accumulate much or stay for long. I want to get into the garden next week and get back to running and stop being so cold all the time. But for now we are finishing up getting inventory stocked up, making some new displays, doing some smaller arts and crafts events, and finishing up the web site for the year. I think the next two weeks will be the last of the long, long days and then we can settle into a routine and a balance, I can only hope!

See you soon!
-H

No comments: