9.14.2009

Why can't I sleep???

I just can't sleep lately. I wake up every hour or so and stare at the clock, get comfortable, and fall back to sleep. It is not insomnia in the way that I can't fall asleep, or that I wake up during the night and stay awake, I sleep 8 or more hours a night, but in short bursts.

I have tried sleep aids. But then I wake up groggy and am sleepy the whole next day. I have tried herbs, and gotten some odd results including weird dreams and bad acid reflux.

Sometimes I think its is the cats that bug me. Sometimes I think it is C because he travels so much, when he is home it is his moving around that bothers me, maybe...Sometimes I think I am not tired enough when I go to sleep in the first place, that I should try to exercise before bed, or maybe take a hot bath, or have a glass of wine.

I know that setting the alarm is the worst for me. I have gotten so used to sleeping on my personal schedule that getting up for an alarm fills me with anxiety. What if I don't hear it, what if I set it wrong, what if the power goes out, and what if the thing just doesn't go off?? Every time I have a craft show, a flight to catch, or C needs to get up at a certain time for work, I go through this dance in my brain and wake up every hour, just to look at the clock, tell myself how many more hours I have to sleep, and then roll back over and go back to bed.

I am at a loss, I don't know what to do, and I am tired of being tired. Fighting my way through not taking an afternoon nap so I am tired at night, or waking up early just to fall back asleep on the sofa at 7 am. I am sure all the travel doesn't help.. the strange beds, the odd noises, and all the stuff going on in my head.

Ugh!!! Maybe tonight I'll sleep well.... I wonder..

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

it is so frustrating to not sleep well and really affects os many parts of our daily lives.
i wish i had some advice but all i can offer is hugs and positive thoughts.
hope it gets better and you can sleep well tongiht.