3.21.2005

Jury Committee

I also participate on the committee of a crafts show and this week was our jury process. I have a hard time with this because I don't consider myself a "fine artist" and think of myself on the fringe of being a "fine craftsperson"*. Years ago when I was accepted into the show I was very surprised, and when I was asked to be on the committee, I almost passed out.

We jury by going through slides, pictures, or samples, of applicant's work and deciding if the work itself is good enough to be included in the show, and if it is good enough to be included, if we think it is a medium that belongs in the show. For example- we don't allow photography or painting because we consider ourselves a "fine crafts" show and those mediums belong in a "fine arts" show, so no matter how good you are, you won't be accepted if you are a photographer. However, if you are a potter, wood turner, or glassblower, you've got a really good chance of being accepted, as does jewelry artists, doll makers, and fabric artists.

My problem is that I know what I like, and I think I can eye quality work, but with some of the slides and photos we have to decide from, its like flipping a coin. Some of the pictures are terrible, the artists give no information on how the piece is made, and I have a limited understanding of many of the processes anyway. Sometimes the entire committee thinks "yes" when I say "no" and vice versa. I think must be akin to being on a trial jury and defending your position when you are the last holdout, but I need to go through it 50 times or so in a morning.

I'm glad I am there because every time I learn so much, about arts and crafts in general and about myself.

* To explain more on these thoughts, many shows don't allow in items they consider "consumable": candles, food, soaps, and sometimes even flowers (live or dried). This is why I think of myself as being on the "fringe". In some places my craft of soapmaking is embraced (especially craft shows that showcase "traditional" crafts), and in others, I am shunned due to the fact that the soap can be used up. I like to think of myself as a "functional craft" artist. I make somthing that looks and smells pretty enough to leave out, but you can (and should) use it, much like functional pottery.

No comments: