8.27.2013

It's been a busy year

August is almost gone, that leaves just 4 months left of the year to go. Usually these are the four busiest months and somehow I can't quite fathom how they can be more busy than the first 8 were.

We decided to really do a bunch this year and in between all the craft shows, the orders to mail, the soap (and other stuff) to make, the family also accomplished a bunch of things around the homestead. We finished off our attic and added some much needed insulation. The attic isn't a livable space, it isn't like it is painted or anything spiffy, but the upper region (the attic is split into two levels) now has a floor and lights, and can cold my many displays and bins of packing materials. It is clean, we added a fan that helps evacuate the hot air during the summer, and we organized everything as well.

The fence is almost complete. We have been wanting a fence since we moved in many years ago. I love out house, but the lot is surrounded by street on three sides so you always felt like there was no privacy. The side yard is done, the back yard is finished, there is just the other side that needs to be picketed in. The boys have been working on it diligently every weekend for at least a month now and they probably have three weekends left to go before its done.

Our closets were organized. It was the best money I have ever spent to have a company come in and design a shelf system for our closets. Everything has a place, they have almost doubled capacity just through the efficient use of space, and new doors have made everything accessible. It is actually a pleasure looking for shoes and belts now rather than going through an endless number of boxes on the floor of my closet.

And we have redesigned the spare bedroom into a spare room/craft room. There are two cabinets filled with yarn and books, and a third small one filled with other supplies. A new TV and a working DVD player with Netflix access have rounded out the room. Now our guests can enjoy some entertainment and I can sit and craft when no one else is sleeping there. This is especially important since I am not only knitting as a hobby now, but beginning to weave and to practice bobbin lace as well. My little corner of the living room was getting far too crowded. This has also resulted in my cleaning out of our bookshelves. I have gotten rid of about 10 bankers boxes full of books, all donated to a local charity. It has lightened things up around here for sure.

Then on the business side I finished out the web site finally. I am sure there are still some typos and I know I will need to make changes and additions come January, but the day to day upkeep is minimal, it is simple but functional, and I have seen an increase in orders since I got it all finished so it is doing what it is supposed to do. I am also starting some "sister sites" whee I can list my products in other places, I am hoping that this increases my visibility and my orders through them as well.

The workshop is in the process of being cleaned out. I have years and years worth of unused supplies. Some things I got just for a special project, some are left overs from items I made in the past. I am clearing them all out, getting them up in E Bay and giving myself room expand. I need room so I can start making new and different products and have the space to store them all!

So I was going to take this time and reflect on my 2013 resolutions and see what I have accomplished and what I could still work on. However, after looking at this list, I am pretty proud of what the family has accomplished this year so far. I know there will be much more to come in the next four months!

2 comments:

Barbie Lynn said...

I am interested in seeing what craft supplies you may have available on ebay. What is your username so I can look you up?

Unknown said...

my eBay ID is naturalsoaper
It will probably be a few weeks before I get things photographed and what not. It will mostly be containers, herbs, and fragrances, but there will be some other things too:)

if you knit, I have a bunch of books on half.com right now, same user name.